Friday, April 22, 2016

Last year, cancer took my hair.

I'd never really been too vain about my hair for most of my life, mainly because I hated the texture (randomly "wurly" and near in texture to the Bride of Frankenstein's during rainstorms/on humid days) and never seemed to be able to keep a style without having to break out the fryin' flat iron on a near-daily basis. But then I started coloring it with body art-quality henna, which, over time, turned it a gorgeous shade of cherry cola, and actually tamed some of the frizz. I grew it out for nearly 5 years, and it was very long and very pretty. I was finally proud of my hair; I'd never gotten so many compliments on my hair before in my life!

But then cancer reared its ugly head last year, and threatened my pretty hair. Before cancer could take it completely, I cut all of my hair off and had it made into a hair "halo." Though I can't really wear it anymore (it requires a bald head in order to adhere properly) I can look at my lovely before-cancer hair any time I want! But it's just not the same...

Over the course of the last few months, my hair's returned. It's actually been growing like weeds. It's come in thicker than before; it's also far (far) curlier. Ah, well. Don't get me wrong–I'm absolutely grateful to have the hair that I do now, five months PFC. At this point, I'll take the kinky (hehe) over the Kojak look any day! I guess this is the "new normal," so I'm going to make the best/most of it.

Last year, cancer took my hair. THIS year, I'm taking my friggin' hair back any way I damn well please. Oh.Yeah.

Why yes, it is blue-green.
And yes, that's a cat. :D

5 comments:

  1. That color makes you look like a fucking superhero! My hair went from almost blonde to very dark brown, but after two years, you'd never know that I was ever bald.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, doll! I've been feeling quite the opposite, these days...

    I'll probably refrain from growing mine out again–don't feel like dealing with the potential trauma. Besides, wigs are fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. My word. You look completely badass, Erika. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. W00000000T! It's no longer aqua blue, sadly. I tried cotton candy pink recently, and it just didn't look right with my skin tone. So now it's platinum. Whee! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have the box of purple color I bought when my hair first started growing back. I really wish I had had the energy to color my hair before I went back to work.

    ReplyDelete